Bombers provide update on quarterback Buck Pierce | | Official Site of the Canadian Football League

WINNIPEG -- Winnipeg Blue Bombers head coach Tim Burke addressed the media Tuesday afternoon regarding the health of starting quarterback Buck Pierce.

Pierce left last Saturday's game against the Toronto Argonauts after sustaining a hit from LB Brandon Isaac.

Burke stated that Pierce has been diagnosed with a "mild concussion" and will undergo another series of tests Wednesday to help determine whether he is fit to resume practicing.

"He has one more test that he has to clear before he'll be cleared to play,'' Burke said Tuesday. "He will be evaluated tomorrow and if it goes another day he'll be evaluated after that, so however long it takes for him to pass that test is when he's able to play.''

Burke also said that there is still a chance that the veteran pivot could suit up next Monday when the Bombers travel to Montreal to take on the Alouettes.

However, If Pierce doesn't play Monday, Burke said backup Joey Elliott will take his place.

And he says if Pierce isn't cleared to play soon, they may have to make that decision regardless.

"If it goes on towards the end of the week and he hasn't passed it (the test), there comes a point where you have to say `We're going with Joey'.''

More to come...

time to hang it up buck!!
October 05, 2012 - 9:43pm
Well I have to tell you I'm not at all surprised by the fact that Buck Pierce is once again injured after sustaining a hit by a defensive player this is not going to get any better for this QB and I think that any team that is actually counting on him as their starter is letting their team and fans down
October 03, 2012 - 5:33pm
Concussions are nothing to mess around with Buck. Use your brain while you still have it in making career decisions.
October 03, 2012 - 2:30pm
as it has you!!
October 05, 2012 - 9:40pm
Boy, you wonder how much more Buck can endure. Getting to a point where one day they'll have to scrape him off the turf. Getting sad and scary.

As for the Blue Bombers fate this Thanksgiving Monday, they have yet to record a road victory, and that streak will continue. What a weird season for Blue Bomber fans to struggle with. Started with the new stadium debacle and spiralled downwards at a break neck speed.
October 03, 2012 - 8:51am
Time to go. I like Buck, but it's not helping the team to have no continuity at QB, and it's definitely not helping Buck to keep going through all these injuries. I like Buck and I have nothing but respect for his toughness and leadership. I like to watch him play. But I'd much rather see him retire than have to see him suffer some permanent, serious damage.
October 03, 2012 - 12:30am
Agree with all posts. Time for Buck to call a spade a spade.
(Disagree with the comment about Isaac being fined though - on-field call was good, I thought.)
October 03, 2012 - 12:18am
I've said this before: for his own sake, Buck Pierce should retire. If Bombers management care about Buck's well being at all, they won't let him play. WAY TOO MANY INJURIES. Some things are more important than football -- this isn't heroics, it is a GAME for ENTERTAINMENT. I've admired Buck's grit, but I will admire him more if he can do the tough thing and put his health first.
October 02, 2012 - 10:14pm
I think 2011 is as close to a great season as he'll get, if he doesn't learn to not dive head first at least...I think any team now is wasting there time, that's to bad.
October 02, 2012 - 9:06pm
The story of Buck's career - down with injury. Comes a time when he may have to call it quits if he wants to have any kind of life outside of football.
October 02, 2012 - 9:00pm
doesn't matter how good a player is, he's no good if he's always hurt. Long past the time for Buck to go.
October 02, 2012 - 8:06pm