Out in Winnipeg: Bombers part ways with Tim Burke | CFL.ca | Official Site of the Canadian Football League

WINNIPEG -- The Winnipeg Blue Bombers announced today that Tim Burke will not return as Head Coach in 2014.

“We thank Tim for his passion, hard work and professionalism throughout the past year and a half he has been in this role, and for his tireless efforts over the past three seasons with the Winnipeg Football Club,” says President and CEO Wade Miller.

“If an opportunity does arise for him to join our staff as a defensive coordinator, our organization would definitely be open to exploring this with Tim.”

“I’ve really enjoyed my time in Winnipeg and am grateful for the opportunity this franchise gave me. The fan support in this city and province is just really remarkable and it is one of the greatest things I can take away from this experience in Winnipeg,” said Burke.

Burke joined the Blue Bomber coaching staff prior to the 2011 season in the role of Defensive Coordinator, before taking over on an interim basis in August of 2011 and officially being named Head Coach on November 1, 2012.

More to come...

USArgosfan
Based on the few times I saw the Blue Bombers it looked to me like Burke was over his head as the head coach. As a new Blue Bombers fan I hope all these moves are the start of them getting things turned around and getting back to respectability
November 13, 2013 - 8:26pm
not fair. limited talent that's why GM mack was let go sooner than burke!!
November 14, 2013 - 9:44pm

Regardless of whether others think it is deserved or not, (I think it is) the was a necessary step by BBs management if they want to keep season ticket holders and fans who were unhappy with his results. The door is left open if the new HC wants to keep him as DC which would no doubt help the financial situation for the BBs.
November 13, 2013 - 4:38pm
113Bradley
Agreed. Had to be done!!
November 13, 2013 - 5:32pm

113Bradley
In spite of his lack of success as a coach, Tim Burke was always a "class act" as a person while he was with the BBs. Wish him luck in the future!!
November 13, 2013 - 3:53pm

GoTi-Cats
We internet posters should be glad that we aren't "fired" when we get predictions or analyses wrong.
November 13, 2013 - 2:06pm
oh now you tell me we get a salary!! oh we don't!! so how can you fire me?!!
November 13, 2013 - 5:05pm
Juggernot
Come on, you know we're all perfectly capable of being a HC or GM on any CFL team!!
Except maybe AR, he wanted the Als to punt into Lake Superior on the last play of the game for a 13-11 loss LOL!! I'd only allow him to coach the Als.
November 13, 2013 - 5:44pm
Jhead: the only reason why you know that is I acknowledged my own error on this site otherwise it went right over your head!!
November 14, 2013 - 9:19pm

no surprise said this coming when mack bit the dust!! as a HC it's win or walk the plank!! next winnipeg HC former bomber QB KHARI JONES currently a regina assistant coach!!
November 13, 2013 - 1:28pm
113Bradley
You could be right but it would be another mistake by the BBs. Don't think Khari is tough enough to be a head coach. Also hoping that they do not make Marcel Bellefeuille the head coach.
November 13, 2013 - 3:49pm
I heard that rumour about Jones some time ago. Whoever gets the HC job, it will be decided soon because of the expansion draft coming up soon. New GM also needs to be a top priority (or confirming Walters as GM).
November 13, 2013 - 4:55pm

*C*F*L*
Makes you wonder if / when the Blue Bombers will ever get this right. Now moving to a tough WEST DIVISON. The mountain gets a little higher to climb.

New stadium.... strong fan base... hopefully the Big ''W'' gets it right soon.
November 13, 2013 - 1:05pm

Juggernot
Burke joins Reed as another no-brainer firing. He was out of his element as HC and often seemed lost on the sidelines. C'mon Bombers, get it together for next year!
November 13, 2013 - 12:59pm
Jhead: like so many coaches reed/burke excellent DCs BUT unable to translate that into their HCing careers as the top general!!
November 13, 2013 - 1:32pm

chihuahuaman66
It's about time! Now both the Bombers & Eskies can begin to build their respective franchises from the ground up with new coaches. We'll have to see what unfolds next season in Winnipeg & Edmonton.
November 13, 2013 - 12:54pm

NO real surprise!! job is to win if it doesn't happen you walk the plank as the head man!! saw this months ago when mack was fired!! I've been told this w/end that the next BBs HC will be former bomber QB khari jones currently a position coach with regina!!
November 13, 2013 - 12:12pm
Juggernot
You've been told?? By who??
I've long suspected you're actually Jim Popp, now I know for sure!!
November 13, 2013 - 6:00pm

waveman
this is a proud franchise, great fans, great new stadium, they will be back. wade will see to it!
November 13, 2013 - 11:03am
Orange & Black
Went to a Bomber home game this summer. You're right about a great new stadium, but really question the location on the U of M campus. Traffic is horrendous, parking situation is even worse, and the rip-off prices to park are outrageous. Can park downtown Vancouver for a game at half the price. It was sad to see Winnipeg fans fill that new stadium game after game and see their team perform so poorly. The HC always takes the fall if you don't win.
November 14, 2013 - 1:57pm