HISTORY >> Grey Cup >> 1934 | CFL.ca | Official Site of the Canadian Football League
HISTORY >> Grey Cup >> 1934

1934 – Sarnia Imperials 20, Regina Roughriders 12

Venue: Varsity Stadium
Location: Toronto, ON
Date: November 24
Attendance: 8,900
Winning Coach: Art Massucci

Most experts believed the Sarnia Imperials should have won the Grey Cup in 1933. They made certain the opportunity didn’t slip past them again in 1934.

The Imperials, who won nine-straight league titles from 1931 to 1939, won its first Grey Cup title against the Regina Roughriders, who were playing in their seventh final in 12 years.

The game was played at Toronto’s Varsity Stadium in ideal football conditions. About 1,000 supporters from Sarnia and other areas in Southwestern Ontario arrived for the game on special trains. Most of the Toronto fans were neutral, but supported the underdog Roughriders as the game progressed.

Sarnia had a 5-0 lead at the end of the first quarter on a field goal by Alex Hayes and a pair of rouges off the foot of Bummer Stirling.

The Imperials took advantage of a Regina turnover in the second quarter when Terry Olsen mishandled a snap. Sarnia would later score on an extension play as Norman Perry made a lateral pass to Gordie Patterson.

The Roughriders answered this touchdown with one of their own before the end of the half. Hugh Stirling fumbled on an attempted kick, and Regina recovered the ball on the Sarnia six-yard line. Olsen carried the ball four yards, and then plunged over the line on second down for the major. Sarnia led 11-5 at intermission.

Sarnia scored on another turnover in the third quarter. Stirling lifted a kick towards the Regina goal line, which Andy Young caught deep in his zone. As he was tackled, the ball was jarred loose with Johnny Manore pouncing on it for a Sarnia touchdown. Many felt a no-yards penalty should have been issued, but the play stood, giving the Imperials a 17-5 lead at the end of three quarters.

Once again in the fourth quarter, Stirling fumbled on a snap, giving Regina possession of the ball. The Roughriders scored their second touchdown when Olsen passed to Steve Adkins for a major.

From that point on, Sarnia’s defence shut Regina down. Stirling and Hayes added three singles as Sarnia capped off a perfect season with a Grey Cup championship.

It was the last time the Regina Roughriders made it to the Grey Cup until 1951. In its first seven trips, Regina was outscored by the opposition 176-27.

Fan Poll
Does winning the MOP cement Burris' status as an all-time great?
1) Yes
2) No
3) It was already cemented
4) It all depends on Sunday