HISTORY >> Grey Cup >> 1983 | CFL.ca | Official Site of the Canadian Football League

Watch Chris Jones and Rick Campbell's introductory press conference live on CFL.ca at 8:30am ET/7:30am CT ... Click here for more.

HISTORY >> Grey Cup >> 1983

1983 – Toronto Argonauts 18, B.C. Lions 17

Venue: B.C. Place Stadium
Location: Vancouver, BC
Date: November 27
Attendance: 59,345
Winning Coach: Bob O’Billovich
Outstanding Offensive Player: Joe Barnes, QB, Toronto
Outstanding Defensive Player: Carl Brazley, DB, Toronto
Outstanding Canadian: Rick Klassen, DT, B.C.

It was the end of an era for a number of different reasons. For the first time in seven Grey Cups, the Edmonton Eskimos were not at the game. It also marked the first time weather was not a factor, as the final was held indoors for the first time at the new B.C. Place Stadium in Vancouver.

Most notably, however, 1983 marked the end of one of the longest droughts in the history of the trophy. The Toronto Argonauts, winners of a record 10 Grey Cups, had not sipped from the silver chalice since 1952.

The Argos faced a difficult task. Not only were they opposing the B.C. Lions with a partisan crowd behind them, but Toronto’s star quarterback Condredge Holloway was battling the flu. He did manage, however, to complete a 14-yard touchdown toss to Jan Carinci in the second quarter.

Trailing 17-7, Toronto coach Bob O’Billovich elected to go with Joe Barnes at pivot in the second half. Slowly Barnes got the Argos offence going, only to be negated when Hank Ilesic missed on three field goals. Two were good for singles, however, as Toronto cut its deficit to eight.

When Ilesic finally split the uprights on a 43-yard attempt in the fourth quarter, it put the Argos within striking distance. Then with four minutes remaining, Barnes executed one of the most important drives in Argonauts history. He hit Paul Pearson with a pass at the B.C. 45, but the ball popped loose into the air. It was another famed Argo bounce, as Emanuel Tolbert caught the ball to keep the drive alive.

Barnes went to work again, throwing to Tolbert at the B.C. 25 and another pass to Pearson on the three. With 2:44 left in regulation, Barnes flipped to Cedric Minter in the end zone, giving the Boatmen their initial lead of the game. But the Argos failed on the two-point attempt.

Leading by one, Toronto forced B.C. to punt on its next possession, allowing the Argos to run out most of the clock. B.C.’s Roy Dewalt had one last chance to throw a Hail Mary pass on the final play, but his prayer wasn’t answer, as long suffering Argos fans went into the streets in jubilation.

B.C. scored its points on touchdown passes by Dewalt to Mervyn Fernandez and John Henry White. Lui Passaglia also kicked a 31-yard field goal.

Fan Poll
Which quarterback would you prefer leading your team into the Grey Cup?
1) Henry Burris
2) Mike Reilly